Your cart is currently empty.Continue Shopping
Taking the proper preventative actions is the key to keeping your properties free of damage. Did you have a pipe burst due to cold or freezing weather conditions in between tenants? Ensure that never happens again by taking measures to prevent it.
Performing the right property maintenance actions at the right time, will ensure the safety of the properties in your portfolio, in addition to saving you money in costly damage. Proper property maintenance will give you long-lasting results. Winterizing is one such maintenance service that is very essential for properties in transition during cold-weather conditions.
What is a Property Winterization?
Winterizing is nothing but safeguarding or preparing to resist or tolerate the severe effects of winter weather on properties that are vacant. To put it simply, it is like winter-proofing your property prior to the cold-weather season. Forward-thinking like winterizing will ensure your property is protected.
Winterizations prevent potentially severe and expensive water damage. In cold climates, vacant properties are vulnerable to costly and serious damages from frozen and burst water lines. To adequately protect your properties, all plumbing fixtures, inside and outside a home, including sinks and toilets, outdoor spigots, and dry, steam and radiant heat systems must be addressed.
Frozen water lines and plumbing fixtures can cause severe and expensive damage to properties if pipes burst. In cold climates, full winterization services on all plumbing fixtures, as well as dry, steam and radiant heat systems, are necessary in preventing what could be costly repairs.
Whenever possible, utility services to the property are turned off, unless a sump pump is present, in which case electricity must remain on.
Prepare your property for cold weather with our Winterization services
Property Winterization Steps
Now that you understand why winterization services are important for vacant properties or those in between occupants, let us delve into the steps needed for an effective property winterization:
- Draining the hot water tank.
- Draining all water lines and using an air compressor to blow air through the system to remove any remaining water.
- Pressure testing the system to check for possible leaks.
- Cleaning and winterizing all toilets and tanks.
- Adding antifreeze to all sink drains, traps and toilets.
- Firmly securing the main water line in the "off" position with zip-ties.
- Posting notice stickers on all winterized fixtures and wraps on all winterized toilets.
De-winterization Services Are Just as Important
It is critical to perform de-winterization services at your properties once you find an occupant. Hiring a qualified contractor to reverse the winterization process at your property will ensure the plumbing system is functional again.
The process includes:
- Toilets cleaned and flushed to remove antifreeze.
- Run water through all faucets and spigots to flush antifreeze.
- Removal of winterization notices, warnings, and stickers
- Conduct a pressure test to ensure the system can still hold .35 psi for 30 minutes.
- Reconnect the water meter.
- A detailed description of the exterior and interior condition of the property
- Detailed photo documentation.
- Bids for any damages found at the property.
Although winter is coming to an end, it is important to ensure your properties remain protected. Perhaps you’ve just acquired a home that will remain vacant for some time or a tenant has moved out. Hire professionals to complete your property service needs, including winterizations, de-winterizations, or thorough assessments of your property.
SGPNow is an on-demand property services company that will give you top-notch quality in the most effective and timely manner.